Friday, July 20, 2012

Not so HGTV

So we had this great idea to re-do the kids' rooms a week or so ago. Banany had been talking about getting more of a "big girl" room and we really hadn't done much different with their rooms since they were babies. Yes, I'm that good.

We told them they could help pick a new comforter and we'd go from there. Banany and I had talked about a fun animal print or polka dots...you know, something tweeny.

Well....one red-head brought my plan to a screeching halt. The kids had just seen the movie "Brave" a few days earlier and Banany was just smitten with the comforter. Ugh. I cannot stand character "stuff" and always refused to give in to the Pooh-Dora etc decorations (the kids' rooms were floral (Banany) and surfing (Meaty)).

I knew Meaty would go for a character comforter. But I was counting on my girl to show me a little sophistication. She's got some funky style to her and I was excited to see what we could come up with.

Ah....negative.

Suddenly, I had to work paint colors around a life-sized red-head and the Incredible Hulk. Swell.

In the end, the rooms look cute, even though they aren't what I would have picked. The kids are both really excited about their new look...and in the end, that is what's important....yes?





We did a really light pink and then pulled in two colors for polka dot swirls to match some polka dot swirls in the comforter. I was going for an "imperfect" look since I knew there was no way I was going to get it perfect. I definitely got it imperfect!


I made a stencil out of 4 pieces of taped-together poster board and then did the swirls randomly around the room.


The piece de resistance.


Seriously, try decorating a room around her.


No shocker at all. Meaty chose his beloved Avengers.
Handsome fellas, aren't they?


I really, really did not want him to have a blue room (I am not a cool-colors kind of gal and every room in the house is the brown family!), so I needed to do something else.
I was thrilled to discover some good brown tones in the Hulk's pants, so Meaty got a darker tan base with a lighter tan stripe.  We still have to put a big Captain America wall sticker up which will finish his look.  It looks like this...


4 comments:

C Love said...

Welcome back, Vivs. Nice job on the rooms. If nothing else, when they are old like us, they'll remember when their mom gave them the bedrooms of their dreams. :)

Lil'Mama said...

The swirls are so fun!

Heather said...

the rooms look great! And like haircuts, not permanent, so I think they'll LOVE that you did the room of their choosing!

Hilary said...

I think the rooms are perfect for the ages of your kids! Nice job!