I just came across this recipe recently, so, on a whim, I threw it in for Easter brunch. I made a few changes, based on reviewers comments and was really happy with the outcome. This bread really was more cake-like with a great coconut flavor (granted, I boosted the coconut flavor a little bit by using coconut milk and coconut extract, so it would be more subtle if you used regular milk and vanilla extract - but still good, I bet!). I would definitely make this again - yum!
adapted slightly from allrecipes.com
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (can use vanilla instead)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup light coconut milk (can use regular milk instead)
1 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted in oven
Additional sugar (I used turbinado, but white would be fine too)
Directions
Lightly toast coconut on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, watching it closely so it doesn't burn. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup coconut and sugar (some reviewers skipped the coconut and sugar and made a simple glaze of powdered sugar, vanilla and milk instead). Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

3 comments:
Looks and sounds fabulous!
Just finished my Easter leftovers of it this morning! Yummy!
Had the last of ours tonight. It had been in the fridge and it was really good cold. I'm not a big coconut fan but this was just right
Post a Comment