

I've been reading page burners lately and neither of them are remotely like anything that I normally enjoy reading.
I heard about Unbroken during a sermon at church and, always on the hunt for a new book, immediately reserved it from the library. I'm not a big history buff and cannot stomach disturbing books...and this one is both.
It's also probably the most fascinating book I've ever read.
I was amazed at the things I read. Amazed at the resiliency of the POW's who suffered in unimaginable ways in the Japanese prison camps. Humbled by our servicemen and women (and, consequently their loved ones) who make sacrifices that would be unbearable to most of us. I had chills. I cried. I'm in awe. To me, this book was that amazing. I think I'm going to have to buy this one.
Hunger Games. Totally different. Totally not my style, but I am diggin' this series. I'm on the third and final book. The concept is so "out there" to me that I was able to get past the disturbing aspects of the books.
Anyone else read either of these? And, what did you think?

7 comments:
I've only read the first two Hunger Games and I liked both. Haven't read the other one you mentioned. Not my style either. I need a good book.
I've read Unbroken and LOVED it. But I love WWII books in general. The story was almost unbelievable there was so much going on! You can youtube lots of Louis Zamperini interviews etc.
B loved Unbroken and Hunger Games both. Torrey loved HG too, and they're trying to talk me into trying them..
Only 3 chapters into HG, so we'll see. After hearing about Unbroken on the run today, I think it's one I would like.
Had to repost my comment too many typos.
Yep I agree, neither were the kind I would normally read. I gave Papa the audiobook of Unbroken and we both enjoyed it.
I would never have read Hunger Games but a book club at work read them last summer. By #3 I was kind of done with it all, but I loved the 1st one
There that's better
Unbroken is the best book I have read in a really, really long time. I want everyone I know to read it so we can begin to understand the sacrifices made for our freedom. I'm glad you were able to stomach it and get through to the redemption at the end!
I read the first 30 pages or so of the Hunger Games last night and am wondering if I am going to be this anxious the whole way through the book? Also not my usual style, but they have come so highly recommended by so many people I had to give it a go.
Post a Comment