Friday, August 6, 2010

Camping Salad

I'm going against my own rule here.
I'm posting a recipe without a picture. I made this salad for us last weekend to have while we were camping. I loved it and it seemed to go over well with the rest of the gang too...I just neglected to take a picture.
It was really easy to pull together and nice and tasty and I'll definitely make it again. I'd say the feta is what made this more "special" than a typical pasta salad. I cooked the pasta ahead of time and threw it in the cooler, as well as made the vinaigrette. I chopped up the veggies there and just assembled it shortly before eating. Worked great.
Pasta Salad
Rotini (or pasta of choice), cooked per instructions
Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (I used more)
1 large cucumber, seeded & diced
1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
Feta cheese

Fresh basil, chopped
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Cook pasta per instructions, drain and cool. Once the pasta has cooled, add the cherry tomato halves, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, feta cheese and basil then mix thoroughly. Slowly add the vinaigrette (recipe below), salt and pepper. Taste and add more dressing as needed.

Fran's Simple Vinaigrette
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper)

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly before tossing on your favorite salad.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

It was delish! I bet I could even make this recipe!