It is AMAZING (not to mention very quick to throw together), and the fun variations you could make are endless (the original version is listed below). How about cherry chips instead of chocolate? Peanut butter chips? Or how about a different pudding flavor? White chocolate pudding with white chocolate chips? Mint chips? Add some coffee to the chocolate version?
I was curious if it would turn out yummy if I cut out some of the fat and sugar. I made the changes shown in the second recipe below, and was really happy with the outcome. I did use some artificial "stuff" which isn't my favorite method, just because of the chemical factor. Another option would be to cut down on some of the fat or sugar by modifying what I did...just skip the extra sugar, replace the oil with applesauce, or use light sour cream. Or, you could just go full monty and enjoy this cake for all that it was intended to be.
It's that good.
Nana J's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake (original version)
by lil' Mama's mama
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box chocolate instant pudding mix
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1 package mini semi sweet chocolate chips
Mix the first 6 ingredients together. Add sour cream and chocolate chips. Bake in a well greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes (check at 50 minutes). Remove pan to cooling rack for 15 minutes. Use knife gently around edges and center, if needed, and turn cake onto plate.
Vivi's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
adapted from lil' Mama's mama
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box sugar free chocolate instant pudding mix
3/4 cup applesauce
1 cup egg beaters (equivalent to 4 eggs)
8 oz. light or fat free sour cream
1 package mini semi sweet chocolate chips
Mix the first 6 ingredients together. Add sour cream and chocolate chips. Bake in a well greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes (check at 50 minutes). Remove pan to cooling rack for 15 minutes. Use knife gently around edges and center, if needed, and turn cake onto plate.

2 comments:
I think Susie makes a cake similar to the original recipe. Happy Weekend!
I've got stuff in the pantry to make the real thing but I'm tempted to mix it up a bit. I'll let you know what I do. :)
Post a Comment