Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Downtown

Back to vacay photos...
I was particularly looking forward to spending the day in downtown San Diego. It had been years and years since I'd last gone there and was excited to show the kids around and check out the cool sites.

Um, not happenin'.

Whiney Wendel and Pouty Patricia did not enjoy walking the block or two from the light rail station. Nor did they enjoy not "doing" anything. I should have thought that one through a little more.  I got caught up in the excitement of doing something fun for grown-ups, and failed to face the reality that the novelty of the light rail ride and the big ships in the harbor would wear off in...oh...6 seconds.

After some "firm discussion" about being good sports and showing some gratitude, we all hopped back on the cooperation wagon and tried to enjoy the rest of the day.

 Riding the light rail with Uncle B.


This was a great way to travel...relaxing, inexpensive, and scenic.


Hanging out in front of the Star of India, the world's oldest active sailing ship (began sailing in 1863!).

 Checking out the old ships in the harbor.
The kids and I were killing time at the table waiting for Uncle B and J to come back with lunch, so I suggested making funny faces. Finally, Meaty said, "Where are the brothos?"


I think Banany's face is hysterical.


Wandering through Seaport Village.

"The Brothos" 


We had a perfect weather day...glorious down by the water.


That's the Coronado bridge in the background.


 Chocolate ice cream always makes things a little better.


Kinda creepy tapey face sculpture. The kids are in the eyeballs.


We made it back in time for dinner with Grandma, her fiance A (who took this picture), and Uncle B. Grandma and A secretly ordered this huuuuuge pile of cotton candy for the kids. It was so good. I'm not a huge fan of cotton candy, but this stuff was way better than fair cotton candy...yum, yum.

4 comments:

cathy said...

It's been a while since I've visited your blog because I was busy... but you're been SUPER busy. Half marathon, trip to CA. Wow!!! I love reading it all!

Hilary said...

I've never been to a restaurant where you can order cotton candy! Crazy. I love the family picture in front of the water. Christmas card?!

lil' mama said...

Whiney Wendal and Pouty Patricia cracked me up. Hoped the cotton candy helped those two out! I agree with Hil, family pic in front of water is great!

jaxcart said...

I love Seaport Village! I wish I could have spent the day there with you!