I bought a package of silicone cupcake cups and use those to hold some of the sides.
All closed up before it goes into the insulated lunch bag. The Bento box itself doesn't have a place to put ice packs to keep the lunch cold.
I bought this fairly flat pack of two ice cube pack at Target for $1.99.
The Bento box then sits on top of the ice pack, of course, inside the insulated lunch bag.
Bananz then just unzips the lunch bag, then opens up the lunch box. She doesn't have to lift the actual Bento out of the bag.
All packaged up!
So far, I like this lunch "system." The biggest drawback is that this particular style does not fit a standard yogurt, which is a staple in her lunches. So my two options are to buy a smaller kind (which are the tooty-fruity, ooey-gooey, expensive sugary yogurts...), or skip that in her lunch. I've done both. Generally, she goes without yogurt. I do like that I don't have to use bags for her anymore. I was skeptical that the sandwich wouldn't get stale, or that things would spill, or that it would be hard for her to open, but so far so good.

5 comments:
I like it. I wonder how boys would do with bringing home the cute muffin cups? I thought about buying some for C but I wonder if he'd just dump everything into the trash? :) I bet Banany feels pretty cool with such a sassy box!
I've been trying the "Bento Box" idea lately also. I like it, too! I feel like I'm being more creative with my lunches- not in such a rut. I didn't actually buy a Bento box but I bought one of those Glad-type tupperwares that have a big square and two smaller ones all in one container. Because the lid closes tightly on the squares, I was able to empty a yogurt in one of the smaller ones and have it "stay" in place and not leak.
What's wrong with Lunchables?
Kidding.
We have these too, and it has been awesome. I need to find those ice cube thingies at Target. Way to think outside the box (no pun intended). Some days my kids get amazing lunches, some days they get a handful of goldfish and a pb&j sandwich. But at least we have the option to do fun stuff. And never being that mom who runs out of plastic baggies on a Monday morning? Priceless.
I pack Ava's lunch every.single.day... She refuses hot lunch. I suppose that's what we get for making such a big deal about food! I am definitely going to have to try the bento box -love it!
Post a Comment