Wednesday, December 15, 2010

CRACKer Toffee

I think I made this crack for the first time during Christmas last year. It is soooo addictive and sooooo easy. Maaaaake it.  Let's just say that I think I'm going to have to make another batch. This one didn't quite survive the pre-holiday snacking around here...This also freezes well, so you can make it ahead of time.


Saltine Toffee Cookies

4 ounces saltine crackers (I've also used cinnamon grahams...makes a thicker, less flaky crust)
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

My notes: I don't know what 4 oz of saltines looks like. Just get a sleeve of crackers and put a single layer on your cookie sheet. I skipped the pecans, but pecans or almonds...whatever would be very good here, I'm sure. 

3 comments:

C Love said...

I have to agree. So good! Made over the weekend and so far are my one weakness!

Heather said...

yep-total crack. A favorite at our house after someone brought it to us the year B was in the hospital.

cathy said...

anything with a cup of butter is crack. can't wait to make it.