Doesn't it seem like peperoncini should have two "p's" in it? Hmmm...weird.
Saw this a while back and it seemed like it was up our alley. As I often do, I checked this recipe against allrecipes because I LU-HUV all the reviews - dang, these people are helpful! I found a few suggestions for a similar recipe that I liked, so I combined them. Apparently, the whole world knew about this recipe and has been calling it Italian Beef. What rock have I been under?
We loved it and it was crazy easy - making this one again fo'sure.
Peperoncini Shredded Beef
adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
2 pounds beef chuck roast (frozen is okay) - I actually had close to a 5 pounder and it was not frozen
1 (16-ounce) jar peperoncini peppers
1 envelope of dry onion soup mix
1 onion cut into large pieces
3-4 cloves of garlic
optional:
mozzarella or Swiss cheese
bread of some sort - french rolls, hamburger buns (I made some in the bread machine)
Directions
Place the onions in the bottom of your slow cooker and pour the jar of peperoncinis on top of the beef. Make a few slits in the meat and shove each of the garlic cloves in a "pocket." Cook on low for about 8 hours. Shred it and serve!
We ate it as open faced sandwiches - I piled some of the shredded meat on the bread, sprinkled with a little mozzarella and popped it under the broiler for a minute or two. We then topped that with a little horseradish spread and grainy mustard. YUM.
I liked some of the other suggestions too...serve it on top of baked potatoes (or sweet potatoes), or over noodles, or in tortillas with some fixins.

4 comments:
Sounds very tasty - Tyler would like the spice!
we love that one. Good with chicken too :)
Sounds delish! My crew would like this one. I still need to get a slow cooker though.
This one's in our regular rotation too. To fancy it up a bit we add sauteed peppers and onions with the melted cheese.
Post a Comment