Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spinach What?


Could this look grosser (is that a word?)? I'd wear this color, I'd paint my walls this color...but drink it? Turns out, yes. I would. And I liked it! A friend sent me the link to this blog and I found the smoothy recipes intriguing and happened to have all the stuff on hand. I've now made a spinach smoothie for lunch two days in a row and I can honestly say it fills me up and keeps me full until close to dinnertime. I don't think it would if I didn't add the protein powder, so keep that in mind if you make this.

If you dare, that is.

Spinach Smoothie
by a little spinach
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
1/2 of a banana
2 giant handfuls of spinach
3/4 - 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice - I used skim)
1 scoop of protein powder (I use a whey protein called Pure Protein)
1 tablespoon of healthy fat -I used extra virgin olive oil
3-4 ice cubes

Update:   I've been making this for over a week now...I usually skip the banana (to cut down on calories, carbs and sugar), skip the fat, and have used mixed berries, blueberries, and/or cranberries. Pop it all in the blender and puree that baby till it's smooth!

6 comments:

C Love said...

Wow. You are a brave soul.
Me, not so much, but I sure am proud of you. :)

cathy said...

green smoothies are taking the world by storm. we're doing them too. i have experimented with a lot of green and found that spinach, rainbow chard, and dandelion greens are the mildest. you mix them up with ice and fruit and you can hardly taste them. kale, however, is distinct. so is romaine. just sayin'. i can do it, but it takes a certain mindset. go online and you'll find a variety of recipes for green smoothies. you're supposed to mix up your greens to get the most nutrition, but there's nothing wrong with getting your spinach every day! i love these smoothies. i drink them for breakfast and lunch or snack every day. delish! (fyi, mixing greens with strawberries turns it a weird glop color. not attractive. bananas and oranges and greens are lovely, though)

Young Adventures... said...

We all like the green Naked smoothie. I want to give this a go. Easy way to get lots of nutrients.

Young Adventures... said...

Just made it, pretty good. I didn't have protein powder so I used a littl greek yogurt. Even Brian liked it.

Buckman Family said...

Do you like the Pure Protein? I got one from Trader Joe's and I'm not that happy with it.

Shelley said...

Hey there,

I just saw this. Thanks for referring some people on over to my page!! :)

We are sooooo into our spinach smoothies here. At home I don't ever use a recipe... just dump. So we end up with a lot of variations here too. I'm so excited that you're having fun playing with it.