Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snickerdoodle Biscotti

So, remember I'm on a biscotti kick? I made some snickerdoodle biscotti this weekend. I didn't love everything I did with this, so the recipe below incorporates how I'd change it for next time. You can see an original recipe here if you'd like to start with that.  Or, this one would be a good starting place too.

One of the changes I would make for next time (and is in the "new" recipe below) is to put the cinnamon chips in the biscotti,  instead of doing a cinnamon chip drizzle. It just didn't work - the drizzle just broke right off.

Anyways, these are tasty little guys. But I look forward to trying the improved version next time!




Snickerdoodle Biscotti
by Vivi
     2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour     
 3/4 cup white sugar
     1 teaspoon baking powder
     1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon (more to taste)
     2 egg whites
     2 eggs (I used egg beaters)
3/4 cups cinnamon chips
      1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Topping
1 egg white
cinnamon-sugar for sprinkling (1 tsp cinnamon + 3 tbl sugar)

Directions
   Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
   Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, and vanilla or almond extract in a separate mixing bowl.
   Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist, using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add cinnamon chips; mix thoroughly.
   On floured surface, divide batter in half and pat each half into a log approximately 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place on a cookie sheet and brush with egg white wash and sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar. Bake 30 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack.
   Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Cut biscotti into 1/2 inch slices. Place cut biscottis on a cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool and store in a loosely covered container.


1 comment:

lil' mama said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm
I like all your tips on how to improve the recipe. Thanks for sharing.