Friday, May 6, 2011

Almond Coconut Bars

I love coconut and chocolate together. And, while I don't usually care for nuts in my desserts, I do like almonds paired with coconut and chocolate. As in, Almond Joys and Mounds Bars.  Here's the problem. Nobody else would eat a pan of these except me. Banany likes coconut, but would probably choose a gummy worm over these bars.

Do the math. That equals ME eating a 9x13 pan of bars.

So my grand plan was to make these, deliver half to my sister, freeze a bunch, and eat only a couple myself. For now. That plan was working fairly well until I discovered that these bars are divine straight from the freezer. So the alternate plan was to move my little stash to the chest freezer in the garage. I may have to go to Plan C and bury them under some fish or something.

Hello Zero Willpower. Have some coconut.

All that to say, these are worth it. They're easy to make and, in my opinion and inability to stop eating them, very good.

Now, I just have to think of another reason to go out and dig around my chest freezer...

Almond Coconut Bars
by Taste of Home
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 package (7 ounces) flaked coconut
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used creamy)
24 blanched almonds (I used roasted and lightly salted almonds, then chopped them and sprinkled them on top)
Directions
In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine milk and coconut; carefully spread over crust. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a microwave, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter; stir until smooth. Microwave 30-60 seconds longer or until chips are melted; stir until smooth.
Spread over warm bars. Garnish with almonds. Refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 2 dozen.


2 comments:

Hilary said...

Yep, these are good! Any time you need to get rid of more bars, you've got the human garbage disposal just down the street.

Unknown said...

It is always refreshing to hear that I am not the only person in the world with self control issues. Your plan, while in theory sounds great, for me I would climb mountains to get to sugar/chocolate. Don't think for one second I wouldn't go out in the back yard and fight the pocket gophers for some chocolate bars that I buried. So I don't even make plans. I either devour the pan myself or just don't make it. :)