Sunday, May 15, 2011

Grand Day!


Each spring the first graders put on a performance especially, and only, for grandparents (or "grandfriends" if a grandparent is unable to come).  Parents are allowed to come for a preview performance the day before the big show, so we're not totally left out. 

It's a really sweet show, with each first grade class performing special songs, as well as the entire first grade performing together. Some of the songs are silly, some have props or speaking parts, some are sweet, some have actions...all very cute. The kids get to dress up and the "grands" just glow with pride.

After the show, the kids give their grands a tour of the school and "treat" them to lunch in the cafeteria (entering in their lunch code to cover their own lunch, as well as grand's). The icing on the cake is permission to leave school for the day after lunchtime.

My parents live nearby and have attended Grand Day two other times with Banany's cousins - so they knew a little bit about what to expect and looked forward to spending the morning with their only local granddaughter.  J's mom is in CA, and obviously couldn't attend. But we took pictures and videotaped it, so we'll be sure to show her when we go out for a visit in June.

 I kinda can't believe this is the end of first grade already!

 What can I say. She can work a camera. Doesn't get it from me.

Bananz with Nana and Papa

5 comments:

lil' mama said...

What a special day. Bananz looks so pretty in her polka dot dress.

Bono said...

I agree with lil mama...B looked great in her dress. That is so great. Can't wait to see you all next month. :)

Sally said...

It was a wonderful day!! The school does a great job organizing and the kids are so focused on showing us their room and school and rules of the lunch room.

Banany was a super hostess, we're only sorry the camera died.

C Love said...

She's beautiful! What a fun and special day. I cannot believe they will soon be in 2nd grade!

cathy said...

That is so sweet! I feel for the kids who don't have grandparents (I was one of those kids) so I'm so glad she has your mom and dad nearby!