Friday, May 20, 2011

Dear Abby...

...or whomever reads this, please pretend you're Abby,

See this picture? The curly-haired turkey on the left is mine (B/F/B,cutie-pie, cuz-A is on the right).


Here's the problem, he is soooooooooooo picky. We try and try to get him to eat new things, but he is extremely resistant. We've had many-a-stand-offs and tears over one bite of food and sometimes I just can't go to battle. He's been known to gag and throw up when trying something new, which makes for a very pleasant meal for all of us. He has a pretty short list of foods he'll almost always eat and, while many of them are not terrible, it's just not a very wide variety.

Here's a list of what he'll eat (seriously, this is pretty much it) for breakfast, lunch and dinner:
  • turkey pepperoni, turkey hot dogs, occasionally other lunch meats like ham or turkey
  • simple meat like plain hamburger (no bun), baked chicken breast, meatloaf, taco meat (no toppings)
  • spaghetti, specific kinds of pizza, mac&cheese, and chicken nuggets are hit and miss
  • almost all fruits and veggies
  • peanut butter, but not usually pb & j's
  • crackers, crackers, crackers, cereal bars and granola bars (exept for the end bite)
  • yogurt, milk and once in a while, cottage cheese
  • some sweets, but he's even picky about those! Whose kid is this?!?!?
The kid-common-foods that are a no-go for him:
  • cheese (except in mac)...so no grilled cheese, string cheese, quesadillas etc.
  • potatoes in any form (might eat a couple of french fries)
  • bread (except for a rare pb&j) in any form...pancakes, english muffins, bagels, muffins, scones, rolls
  • cereal with milk (he likes about 2 kinds of dry cereals until I buy a box, then he won't eat it anymore)
He also has a very strong gag reflex (as in, brushing teeth is a nightmare).  This has played a part in us not forcing as many new foods...wondering if it's, at least partially, a physical thing?

Any of you mom's had any super-picky eaters and/or gaggy kids?  I feel like I've asked this before, but I need help still!

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Child #2. Enough said.

Young Adventures... said...

I think it is great that he likes fruit and veggies! He seems to like a lot of other healthy foods too, so that is good. It seems like a lot of kids that are picky eaters like junk food and not such healthy foods like you little guy. I wonder if there might be something to the gag reflex? I do have a friend who's youngest son did have some issues with his eating and they actually did do some food type of therapy with him. You might want to check with your Dr.? I know it gets frustrating but keep introducing him to new foods a little at a time. Some people suggest just taste and not swallow. Plus we all have foods that we lean towards and against. My two couldn't be more different in what they like. The most important thing is that he is healthy and growing. Keep trying! Good luck!

Lil'Mama said...

Wish I had some advice. I do think it's awesome that he likes fruits and veggies. And if he's healthy and growing then what he eats must be working for him.

cathy said...

We lead parallel lives, you know. That was/is Carver to a T. He has always had a strong gag reflex and was extremely picky when he was younger. Good news. It does get better. He still cannot eat a lot of fruit (want to see him gag and retch just make him eat a strawberry or grape) but he eats some. His tolerance for new food has gotten better as he's gotten older, so it's not as much of a battle, but he is still by far my pickiest eater. Hang in there.

Gkitt said...

Sounds like there may be a smidge of a power struggle going on. From looking at the list it seems like there is enough of a variety of food groups to keep him healthy even though he doesn't have a variety within the food groups.

By way of advice (you asked for it) I would give the power back to him. Continue to serve (to everybody) at least one food he likes with each meal, even if it's just a handful of crackers. Give him 20 mins or so to eat, then toss whatever is left. Let him know it's up to him what he eats you don't care. It's important that you are very matter of fact about it. No snacks unless you have a regulary scheduled one.

Chances are he'll either decide to try things on his own or just grow out of it. I'm trying to get my formerly picky 11 year old to *stop* eating everything in sight!!

Good Luck!