Thursday, May 19, 2011

Salsa

If I'm ever stranded on a deserted island, please air drop chips and salsa (then come back and get me after I've eaten it). I could live on good tortilla chips and salsa. Not jar salsa, by the way. Yuck. Preferably homemade, but I've also found one or two fresh salsas in produce sections (if you're interested, Sam's Club makes a good fresh salsa and another good one is Salsa Lisa).

J's best buddy introduced me to his mom's salsa years ago. I pretty much beat him to death to get the recipe, which he graciously shared with me. I made it for years and still love it. I've since found ways to adapt it and make my own variations, but that was my first taste of homemade salsa and I never went back.

Being the good friend that he is, he recently emailed a new salsa recipe which we tried not too long ago. He didn't disappoint. It was divine. Thanks Coult!  The only downside to this one is the avocados...which are plentiful and inexpensive in CA, where he is, but are not so cheap here. So make lots of this when avocados are on sale!




Coult's Salsa
This is pretty "limey," which I loved. If that's not your thing, go easy on the lime juice, or add a little at a time.

2 avocados chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
1/2 of large jalapeno (add more if want more hot) chopped fine
1/4 of medium sized red onion chopped
(Optional - I used) 1/2 small can black beans (drained and rinsed)
Juice of 2 limes
Salt to taste

Cut up avocados and tomatoes. Grind up cilantro, jalapeno, and red onion in blender. Mix all along with lime juice, beans, and salt.

2 comments:

blessedby6 said...

I will definitely have to try it. And we love lime! I make PW's salsa and double it every other week. My kids love a sandwich with salsa and chips for lunch. Of course, for us the doubled recipe makes almost a full ice cream bucket's worth but only lasts a few days.

Bono said...

So glad you liked it H. I'll be sure to make some when you come visit. :)