I'm so far behind on blogging, we've been so busy! Stay with me...I promise to catch up.
Banany does like to stop roaring long enough to put various dress-up clothes once in a while and likes to sometimes pretend that she's some sort of dancer. I started looking for places for her to take dance lessons, however, because I was never in dance, never wanted to be in dance, can't dance in any formal way whatsoever, and never thought I'd have a daughter who would dance - I didn't know where to start. And so we entered a very unfamiliar world. I talked to a few neighbors, but was not interested in signing her up for an expensive, year long, hard core dance program.
But lo and behold, I got news that our church would be hosting an independent dance teacher who floats from church to church teaching classes for little girls. She calls her program "God's Praising Princesses." When asked if she'd like to do this week long princess dance class, Banany gave me an enthusiastic, "YES!" and could hardly wait for the big week to arrive.

Day 1 outfit.
One of the best things about this class was, anything goes.
And by anything, I mean a too-tight-slightly-stained-leotard layered over a garage sale-too-small-sparkly-tu-tu-skirt.
Day 2.
Well, we thought a tiger dress and sunhat would be perfect for today.
And it was.
And don't think we didn't wear this to the grocery store right after class. We did.
Day 3.
We've dug a little deeper in our costume box and, ah-ha! A Belle costume.
I could tell she felt very much like a princess this day.
Just in case you were wondering, this is what Meaty wore.

Day 4.
A trip to a second-hand store resulted in an outfit made for the Bananz.
Dance and leopard.

Last day.
Also picked up at the second-hand store (for $10!!!). She literally gasped when I showed it to her. She felt so beautiful this day and was twirling around constantly.
She looks about 13 to me here. Where did my 5 1/2 year old go?!?!?
They had a "graduation" on the last day of class where moms/dads/grandparents could come watch. This is the class before the program begins.
Doing a curtsy.
Walking along the tape line to practice walking straight and tall.
The teacher let each girl walk down the "runway" on the last day during "graduation."
She gave their full name, birth date, what they like to eat, and what they want to do when they grow up.

The girls waiting in line for their turn on the runway.

Dancing in a circle.

Doing some moves with their roses.

Listening...

They each had a special mat to stand on with a big butterfly drawn on it - this was to help them understand the proper position of the feet. Cute, huh?

Waving their finger ribbons during a song.

Performance.

During this song, they grew like flowers.

Following the teacher's moves during a song.


And it never mattered if anyone was a little off in her rhythm.

Stepping out onto their mats, one by one.

Listening with folded hands.

Part of their little performance...I can't remember what they were doing here.
The teacher is in the white and the 12 year old helper is standing by Banany.

I know this isn't even close to what "real" dance class is, but this was perfect dance for us.
Banany loved every minute.
The most important thing to her teacher (who incidentally reminded me of the long lost twin sister to
Glenda the Good Witch on Wizard of Oz) was that the girls feel beautiful. And while she taught them some basic ballet moves, there was no pressure or judgement for any mistakes or struggles with the moves. Each day, the girl was sent home with something beautiful and special...a sparkly scarf, a rose wand, finger ribbons, a crown...
At graduation, she gave each girl a custom made card, with their picture on it, to designate them as a graduate of the program.
One of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Worth every penny.
7 comments:
Absolutely priceless! So glad she had so much fun and I loved the outfits - you should get a few for yourself!
wow-so cute! Leah would have LOVED that.....
How sweet! She looks very confident and happy in the pictures. The teacher obviously accomplished what she set out to do.
One of my favorites memories of my last visit was having Banany model her princess outfit..she looked great. I really enjoyed seeing all the pictures and of course your commentary is priceless. Thanks for sharing your special treasures with all of us...love it all and keep it up!
So sweet. my favorite by FAR is the tiger outfit with the big hat.
What a fun option for dance. We too don't want to really sign up for the year long thing. This was great! She looks so proud and adorable.
love, love, love this post. what a great no-pressure dance class. dance classes for girls have gotten weird--the make up and suggestive correography and outfits that make 4 year olds look like hookers. i love this alternative and wish we had something like that here.
Post a Comment