Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tex Mex Lasagna

I could have sworn I posted this recipe before, but couldn't find it. So if I can't find it, you probably can't either.

Anyways, I found this one a few years ago in a Taste of Home magazine, I think. I made it very frequently for a while, then we got sick of it and I quit making it for a long time. The other day I was suddenly craving it again. I'd misplaced my original recipe, but with check on allrecipes.com and a quick call to my sister to verify the recipe, all was well.

I assembled it this morning and popped it in the fridge to just heat up for dinner tonight. Ah, yes. Now I remember why I liked this one so much. Makes a ton, can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, can be frozen either before or after you've made it, and while it's not great to look at, it sure is yummy.

You do not need to do exact measurements on the cheese or corn tortillas. You're just layering, so layer it however thick you like it! You could also skim through the reviews of this recipe on the allrecipes site for other ideas on what to do with this!


Tex Mex Lasagna

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
4 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, taco seasoning and seasoned salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with two tortillas and a third of the sauce, cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Repeat layers twice. Cover; bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

My notes: Who likes to use 1 1/2 lbs of meat - silly. I use either 1 pound or 2 - your call. Today I used 2lbs of lean ground beef. I used fat free cottage cheese and reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese. I also used 2 cans of diced tomatoes but very quickly drained them to get rid of some of the juice but not all. I used about 10 corn tortillas and I like to cut them into quarters to fit them into the dish better.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

We love this one, and the boys eat it, too!