Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kale Chips

Posted by Picasa

For some of you, this one is going to go down as one of the stranger things I've made. I stumbled onto this recipe and had to try it. It was healthy, easy and a little out of the ordinary. I don't normally buy kale, mustard greens, and collard greens but every once in a while I like to give them a try.  I would absolutely make these again. They were light, crispy and delicious. Even J liked them.

Kale Chips

What’s Cooking with Kids

Bunch of kale
Olive oil
Salt, to taste
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Hold the thick stem of each kale leaf with one hand. Pinch the base with the fingers of the other hand and rub them up the stem – the leaves will tear right off!
3. Put the kale pieces on a baking sheet lined with a silpat (a silicone baking mat) or with parchment paper.
4. Pour on a little olive oil and toss with clean hands. Sprinkle with salt
5. Make sure they are in a single layer on the baking sheet sheet.
6. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until crisp.
7. Keep an eye on them in case they start to burn.

Notes: I washed my kale and it wasn't totally dry when I put it in the oven, so at first it didn't seem to crisp up. I think this could be solved if the kale was dried really well, or, turn the broiler on and watch it closely. I used the broiler method this time and it worked just fine.


1 comment:

Young Adventures... said...

We love Kale!! I try to incorporate cruciferous veggies into our diet as much as possible. I have seen recipes for Kale chips before and have always been curious. Looks great! I will have to give them a shot.