Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gumbo Pork Chops

I made these pork chops the other night after a friend mentioned a similar recipe. I couldn't quite find the recipe I was looking for, so I just tweaked this a bit, though there's not much to it at all. The flavor was really good and this was so fast and easy. I get tired of dry pork (if you've got a good go-to recipe, I'd love to hear it!), and these definitely turned out m_ _ st....you know, not dry. Very good. Will use this one again...



Gumbo Pork Chops
by Vivi
about 4 boneless pork chops
1 can chicken gumbo soup
1 onion sliced into rings, optional
oil (I used extra virgin)
dry seasonings of your choice (I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder)

Preheat oven to 350. Season your chops with whatever dry seasonings you like to use. In a sautee pan, heat oil and brown chops on all sides (this takes just a couple of minutes total). Remove chops from the pan and set aside. Throw in onions (sliced into rings) and soften those up. I deglazed the pan with just a splash of white wine here, but that's optional. In one layer, put softened onion rings on bottom of a 9x13 dish and layer pork chops over the top.  Pour undiluted can of gumbo over the pork chops. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the thickness of your chops.  Let the meat rest 5-10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Kalley said...

Sounds good! Was it spicy? I've never bought the chicken gumbo soup.

Vivi said...

Hey Kalley, these were not spicy at all (you could spice them up with pepper or cayenne if you wanted some heat). I'd never bought gumbo before either, but it really had nice flavor.

Young Adventures... said...

I know what you mean about dry pork chops! This is the pork chop recipe I make, but you need to grill them so that might be kind of hard right now. Unless you have a grill pan, but I haven't tried that. http://4everyoungfam.blogspot.com/2010/09/pork-chops-with-sauce-o-gold.html