Friday, April 1, 2011

Pumpkin Chili

This one comes from the Hungry Girl cookbook. I've tried some of her recipes before - some I like, some I don't. Many of her recipes use convenience products, so most things are easy and quick. While I do occasionally use sugar free products, I try not to do too much with those since the chemicals kind of wig me out. This, however, is just good for you chili with a secret ingredient - pumpkin!

This definitely does not taste like traditional chili. You do get hints of the pumpkin (plus the recipe calls for some pumpkin pie spices). At first I wasn't sure if I was a fan, but it really grew on me. I still prefer "regular" chili in some version, but this was a fun variation.  I'd definitely make pumpkin chili again, but I think I'd like to try this version next. 

Pumpkin Chili
 adapted from Hungry Girl 1-2-3
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 can (15oz) of black beans, rinsed and drained 
1 large can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes (I used diced)
1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can (15oz) of pumpkin puree
1 can (15 oz) chili beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms (I just threw them in sliced)
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt  (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
Pepper to taste 
 Dump it all into a large crockpot and stir. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
My notes:  Next time, I may add some cooked ground turkey to up the protein. The original recipe also calls for zucchini, I just didn't have any.  I also added a little water to get it to the consistency that I like.

No comments: