Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Pork

This recipe was ridiculously easy. There's nothing "special" about it per se, though I'm totally into liquid smoke right now, so I'm diggin' that it's in this recipe and I do think it adds a lot of flavor.  Turns out, I love BBQ anything.  And BBQ + liquid smoke...well, now we're talking. 


Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Pork
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
3 to 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, boneless pork loin, or boneless pork chops (I used 5 boneless pork chops with the fat trimmed off)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 tablespoon hickory flavored liquid smoke
2 cups barbecue sauce (I used this low carb homemade BBQ sauce that I LOVE)

Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper over the pork and place in a slow cooker. Add water and liquid smoke. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.
Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard the remaining liquid. Shred the pork using a couple of forks. Place the meat back in the slow cooker along with the barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again. Serve on buns with extra barbecue sauce if desired.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I heart liquid smoke too. But then again, I heart campfires more than anything on the planet.