
After 44 years of working various jobs, my dad will say good-bye to full-time employment today. He has worked very hard all my life and I am thrilled to see him enjoying his last week as an employee with a company that has been so good to him.
A little over two years ago, he was diagnosed with mild-cognitive impairment and was genetically categorized as being in a group that is at a higher risk for Alzheimer's Disease. While in conversation with him, you rarely see signs of confusion or forgetfulness, it was beginning to occur more and more with his day-to-day work responsibilities.
I often found myself worrying about him and praying for his protection - both professionally and physically. The answer to this prayer was that God placed this amazing, protective, patient group of people, most half his age, around him at work. He was very honest and candid with them about his diagnosis and his struggles. Their response was to immediately step up to accommodate him in any way they could, giving him tasks that would play to his strengths and picking up any gaps where he had weakness. They continually treated him with kindness and respect - undoubtedly a reflection of the way I'm sure he treated them.
A while back, he moved to a partial disability status, still working full-time but in a different role at work. However, with some recent changes there, he, his managers and his doctor decided that it may be a good time to shift him to full disability. Things moved quickly and within days, the announcement was made that he would be leaving.
These co-workers have been showering him with encouragement, support, gifts, tears, food, parties, and kind words all week - even designating today as "Cap Day" as a final way to honor him (he's often cold and, in their casual dress work environment, wore a cap of some kind at his desk everyday) on his last day. I have cried more than once at the generosity and thoughtfulness of these people and their special place in my dad's life. It has been the perfect way to end a long, hard working career of a most deserving man.
I am blessed to have a dad who worked hard and held steady jobs that provided for our family. I have very fond memories of running to meet him at the city bus stop after work and walking home with him. Or going to his office on the occasional Saturday morning and playing on the phone and stapling papers while he tried to get a few things done. He rarely missed an after-school track meet or basketball game and was always available for early morning homework help.
I am proud of the work ethic he has always held and the ego he has not. He was never caught up in titles or making tons of money. I remember him increasing our allowance by 5 cents a piece when he got a raise...just to be fair. He did not bring work stress home to us kids and was never crabby to us after a bad day at the office. As an adult, I realize what an accomplishment these things are - far more valuable to his family than titles or bonuses. For that, I am so grateful.
This phase will present challenges and opportunities for him as he transisitons to a new routine and settles into a lifestyle he has never experienced. I hope it's a fulfilling time, full of relaxation and doing things he loves like running, snacking, and endless "putzing aroung". We look forward to the hobbies he can now take up, the volunteer opportunities he can pursue, the naps he can take, and the extra time he can spend with family.
Thank you dad, and congratulations on all of your hard work - I love you!

7 comments:
Sniff...very sweet!
well said Holly! Dad we love you and hope this life-transition will be a smooth one for everyone
WE LOVE YOU TOO!!!! Very well said Holly! Paul - you will be amazed at how busy you will be.
The Porfidio's and Bell's
Thanks for sharing your blog with us. Your father is one of the kindest people I have ever known. We are all going to miss him tremendously. We are better people for having the opportunity to work with him. I wish him and your family all the best.
Holly, what a great blog today. I told Hilary, that between both blogs I needed some tissue. Your Dad is so blessed to have such a supportive and loving family. Enjoy your Dad's retirement. It has been a wonderful time for our family. We are praying for all of you, especially your Dad.
Well said! Tears in my eyes. If you papa today will you give him a hug from us. Off to get some tissue...
That fricken rocked...now I have to go get some tissue too. Lots of dust around here and I got something in my eye!! Tell your dad congrats from me.
Post a Comment