I didn't know what to make for dinner the other night, but I knew I had to use up a smoked turkey breast that I'd bought recently. I decided on a turkey salad and found a recipe...maybe on allrecipes...and adapted it just a bit. I really liked how it turned out and it was a nice change up from chicken salad. I always have lots of canned goods on hand, so black bean soup was a good match for my throw together meal.
1 1/2 lbs of smoked turkey, cubed
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1-2 tbl Dijon mustard
1/4 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper
2 stalks of celery, diced
2-3 green onions, sliced
Mix everything together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to blend flavors. Serve as sandwiches, on crackers, or in a lettuce wrap.
My notes: I kind of eyeballed the mayo, yogurt and mustard to get the right consistency. The yogurt is simply in place of more mayo, to cut the fat down. But you could certainly use all mayo too. If you don't like some of the veggies, just leave them out or substitute them with something that you do like. I loved the cilantro and red bell pepper in this salad.
2 cans southwest black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic or with chilies
1 can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
1 can beef broth
optional, cilantro
optional, green onions
optional, wedge of lime
optional, cheese
optional, cheese
Heat everything but the optional ingredients and top with cilantro, squeeze of lime wedge, green onions and/or cheese. This is also great served with cornbread.

No comments:
Post a Comment