Thursday, October 22, 2009

Quick...and I do mean quick...Bread

So easy. Make it.

Oatmeal Whole Wheat Quick Bread
adapted from allrecipes.com

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
Grind oatmeal in a food processor or blender. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, dissolve honey in vegetable oil then stir in the milk. Combine both mixtures and stir until a soft dough is formed. Form the dough into a ball and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
My notes: I doubled this recipe and put the batter into a loaf pan. I baked it at 350 for 1 hour. Instead of vegetable oil, I used olive oil, and I also added 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds to the batter. I also sprinkled a little sea salt on the top of the loaf before I cooked it.
I LOVE this bread. After I accidentally dumped one loaf into the sink, I quickly made a second loaf since it literally took about 10 minutes to throw together. I will make this bread again and again.

3 comments:

cathy said...

That is almost NO fat added... just a tiny bit of oil! was it dry? Do tell!!!

Vivi said...

Cathy, I didn't find this bread dry, though it has a bit of a crumbly muffin-like texture. I ate it with soup and it was perfect.

Hilary said...

Since it's healthy, does that mean I can smother it in butter?