I was excited to make this soup and wish I'd made it sooner. I really, really enjoyed this. In fact, I bought more ingredients to make it again soon. I admit, it does look a little bit like baby food, but I'd like to think it's a little more sophisticated than baby food??? I liked it really smooth, but you could shorten the time in the blender and have a chunkier soup.
by The Smart Diet - The Right Approach to Weight Loss
1 tbl butter or margarine (I used butter)
3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
3/4 cups thinly sliced leeks or chopped onion (I used onion)
2 - 14 1/2 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (I used black pepper...no white on hand)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup regular or fat-free half and half or light cream (I used fat free half and half)
fresh tarragon sprigs, optional (I didn't have these)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Add squash, carrots, and leeks/onion to pan. Cook, covered, for 8 minutes stirring occasionally. Add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover; process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Add white pepper and nutmeg. Bring just to boiling. Add half and half or cream; heat through. Ladle into soup bowls. If desired, garnish with tarragon. Makes 6 servings.

2 comments:
I got a sampling serving of this and it will be my lunch today, can't wait
A little scary but I'd like to try it
Post a Comment