Friday, July 16, 2010

Cornbread

I found a new cornbread recipe that sounded so good. It got rave reviews on allrecipes and I really wanted to try it. The massive amount of butter was weighing on my conscience (and my thighs!), so I decided to try to tweak it a little bit and see what happened. I was really happy with the end result...a cakey, sweet cornbread...without the fat of the original 1/2 cup of butter.
Pardon my applesauce measurements...that's just how I figured out how much to put in since it's kind of an odd amount.
Posted by Picasa

Cornbread
adapted from allrecipes

• 2 tbl butter + ¼ cup applesauce + 1/8 cup applesauce
• ½ cup sugar
• 1/2 cup egg beaters
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in microwave. Move to a large bowl and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture into bowl. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

cathy said...

that looks yummy! i have another cornbread recipe from allrecipes bookmarked on my computer. i make it once a week, i think. i love conrbread from scratch. can't stand those box mixes. and it's so easy. can't wait to try this one.

C Love said...

Hey, is this the one you brought to our house earlier this fall? I need a cornbread recipe for Thursday!