Friday, July 9, 2010

Tomato Basil Hummus

I've been on a major hummus kick lately. Possibly linked to finding Stacy. Girl makes a dynomite pita chip.


This Tomato Basil recipe is one of my faves so far...




Posted by Picasa



Tomato Basil Hummus
2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or soaked if using dried
1 can (15 ounce) whole, peeled tomatoes (I think mine were diced)
2 tablespoons of tahini (I used sesame seed oil)
2 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ½ tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Preparation:
In a blender or food processor, blend the chickpeas. Add tomatoes, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, basil, and salt until the ingredients form a creamy, paste-like consistency. Pour the mixture into a large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

My notes: I used sesame seed oil in place of the tahini since I didn't have any. Frankly, I think I would leave it out next time though (or use less) since the flavor came through a little too much.

2 comments:

lil' mama said...

Love Stacy pita chips and tomato basil hummus. Hate buying tahini since it's kinda spendy. Will use this recipe. Thanks for sharing:)

Heather said...

I heart hummus too. This looks tasty! Mine is usually evoo, garlic, salt, chick peas and lemon juice for a quick batch