I took this pic from my cell phone...this is how close we were to the stage.J's bday was last Friday, so the actual day was spent road-tripping to the cabin, but we celebrated the night before by going to a concert. We happen to live near the zoo, who has a summer concert series. We've both always wanted to go and J found the concert he wanted to see....English Beat opening up for The Squeeze.
We had such a good time. These aren't groups that I ever listened to, though both have had some popularity at different times and one still has songs played regularly on the radio. But they both did an awesome show, the outdoor theater was so much fun and because it's relatively small, it was really cool to be so close to the bands. I could actually see their teeth (which isn't a good thing when it's an english band....no offense, Brits).
And the crowd...oh, the crowd. Hands down the most entertaining group of people ever. Blew those state fair freaks out of the water. It was this strange mix of middle aged people, probably 7-10 years older than J and I, who are probably relatively "normal" in their daily lives...but boy, you take these cats to an English Beat/Squeeze concert and the maniacs come out!
My favorite was the suburban mom, who you KNOW wears "mom jeans" during the day, in her permed, short hair, and black and white checkered A-line dress that she probably wore to church last week. Down in the venue's version of the mosh pit. Rocking out. I mean rocking out. Her moves were a cross between Elaine's infamous dance on Seinfield and Mary Kathryn Gallagher from SNL. I was mesmerized. I would pay my $37 ticket fee just to watch her again. Hilarious.

3 comments:
Happy Belated Birhtday, J!
I think I was with him when we went to see Squeeze at First Ave. I was there with Julie... and probably Scott and Nathan and a handful of other people. Ask him if I'm right. Happy Bday J!!!!
I loved English Beat back in the day. In fact, I bet I still have one of their tapes. Yes tapes. We would've fit right in, apparently.
Post a Comment