Monday, June 30, 2008

Easy Caramel Corn

I forgot to post this earlier. I made a batch of Candy Corn, which was essentially caramel corn, from The Low Fat High Flavor Cookbook. It was so easy and really good! It's a lighter texture and crispier than normal caramel corn, which I think is usually kind of chewy. I actually liked this better. Plus, the cookbook nutritional info says it's got only 3 grams of fat per serving. I wonder if a serving is all 4 cups. Hmmm...

2 tbl packed brown sugar
1 tbl butter (I used light butter)
1 tbl corn syrup
4 cups popped corn

Preheat oven to 275.

Mix together the sugar, butter and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Place over low heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat. Place popcorn in a large plastic bag. Pour the sugar-butter mixture over the popcorn and shake the bag until the popcorn is coated. Spread on a baking sheet and bake, stirring every 5 minutes, for about 20 minutes. Cool to room temp and store in a plastic bag or airtight container.

I just popped a whole bag of light popcorn (probably close to 8 cups) and then doubled the sugar-butter mixture. I'm sure you could use any kind of popcorn you like - air popped, buttery, pre-popped.

I would have taken a picture of it, but well, we ate it all. Ok, I ate it all.

No comments: