Monday, June 30, 2008

The Kid #2 Phenonomeon


What is it with kid #2? Many people I know who have at least two kids, call their second child, the "tough" one.

Have we gotten lazy after #1 and forgot about the rough times?

Are we so crazy busy with two kids (or more...God bless you folks) that any little thing either one of them does, just sends us over the edge and we blame it all on #2?

Is #2 just able to get further down the naughty path before he/she gets busted because we're busy with another child?

The Meatball has been tougher for me than Banany was. Perhaps it was the novelty of our first child. Perhaps it was me being very naive. Perhaps it's because she'd rather sit and read a book with me and he'd rather swirl his hand around in the toilet.
It's been a rough few months with the big fella. He's not sleeping well, as you might remember. I was up with him again last night - I lost track after about the 6th or 7th time. He finally fell asleep at 2am, only to wake at 7. Thanks for the 5 hours buddy.
He was crabby all day, which actually isn't really anything new. He's been in a state of perpetual crabbiness for a while now. I've learned to brace for his smacks and screams, and then try to remain calm as I tell him no. And he laughs at me. This isn't a good sign, is it?
He's been ultra clingy. I've learned to make meals with him clinging to my leg and wailing. I feel bad for him...really, I do. But, I feel bad for me too.
Don't get me wrong. I adore my little man. He's a charmer and, I might be biased, but he's pretty darn cute. I'm thinking this is an early entry into our terrible two's, which may last long beyond the two's.
I just haven't figured out what makes him tick yet. Of course, I'm #2. And, word has it, I was a nearly perfect child. So there goes that theory.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

I love the picture of #2!

Wish I had advice on child #2, but we all know I haven't figured mine out yet, either!!

lil' mama said...

I was #2 and was told MANY MANY times I had an attitude problem that needed to be fixed and fast. He is darn cute!

Sally said...

I have never ever seen the meatball look that annoyed.

Take heart...I know some #2's who have turned out perfectly!! :)

Vivi said...

Sal,
Meatball's pic was actually posed. That's what he does when you ask him to show you his grumpy face...although, it's often been his regular face these days!

I can't believe you didn't take the bait on the kid #2 theory! I thought you'd set the record straight!

Heather said...

What goes around comes around. It's that simple.

Kari said...

Hey there Vivi,
I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog. You are doing a great job, so don't quit! (I was going to call you last night saying I was on board to quit with you! : ) )
LOVE the pic.of meatball, It just goes to show how different each child is. I have also been told that boys are harder when they are young, but get easier, girls easy then hard.... probably not that reassuring.
You have great kids and you do a great job with them!
Loved reading about your trip, looks like you guys had a great time!
Happy 4th!