Sunday, May 3, 2009

Distraction

I'm distracted from blogging and cooking.

As if in an out-of-body experience, I signed up for a women's sprint triathlon which will take place mid-August. This isn't actually a whim - I felt a little nudge about it last year when some friends of ours completed it and since then have thought about it several times. However, it isn't something I actually thought I'd try. But when my sister and some other friends signed up, I felt like this was my chance to try it and have some friendly faces around. An impromptu funeral of sorts.

This particular sprint will have a 500 yard open water swim, followed by a 15 mile bike ride, followed by a 5k run. In a row. All on the same day. Racing.

So I've been trying to figure out how on earth to train for this. I can run a 5k and I can bike 15 miles. I cannot swim anywhere near 500 yards, not to mention in open water while crazy women around me are trying to beat me (Save your energy, ladies. You'll beat me.). However, the thought of doing all three...

I'm terrified.

I'm motivated.

I'm experiencing mucho self-doubt in my abilities.

I'm surprised that I'm signed up for this.

I'm excited.

I'm tired.

I'm sore.

I dream about this. Literally, dreams.

I'm afraid of drowning.

I'm afraid of colliding with another biker.

I'm afraid of not being able to run an entire 5k after the other two events.

I'm afraid of what I'll look like at the end of that day. :)

I'm distracted.

11 comments:

lil' mama said...

I am so proud of both you and Hil for doing this. I really really really wish I could be there to cheer you guys on. So what's your training schedule looking like? You go girl!

Mrs. Cox said...

Wow. Totally impressed. Seriously. Totally impressed.

Sally said...

I'd join you but...
"My name is Chubby, my mama's chubby, my daddy's chubby, even ma little dawg is chubby"

But Chubby is proud of you!!

jaxcart said...

You are going to do awesome! I'm very proud of you and inspired by you.

Kari said...

I am so excited that you and Hilary both signed up for this race. We will set a schedule and keep each other motivated.
We have 3 1/2 months, so I am hoping we will be ready for the
16th.
I am going to try running around the block tonight and see if I can do that without stopping. : )

Hilary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilary said...

You didn't think you could run 5 miles with me about a month ago. You did. You didn't think you could do the 10k. You did. You aren't sure about the triathlon. You will!

I promise I won't be mad if you beat me...just on the bike! : )

Vivi said...

Thanks for the support everyone. I desperately need it and it means a lot!

Buckman Family said...

Go girl! You can do it! i am very impressed.

Bono said...

Vivi...this is your coach in Cali. I know you're scared and terrified of the unknown, but now is the time to focus on your mission. You need to train like you've never trained before. You need to have the eye of the tiger just like your hubby. I've seen his eyes when he's focused..he's got crazy eyes and you need that too. Now focus on your training and when the event comes I know you will overcome any obstacles because your Coach from Cali said so. Now be like a good lil Hulkster and say your prayers, take your vitamins, and train everyday. You'll do awesome!

bird said...

wow! impressive!
what an amazing example for your kiddos.