Thursday, May 28, 2009

Breakfast Ideas

I had this question on my last post and I thought it would be fun to respond...

Hi Vivi,
I have a question for you. Our family is trying to eat "Healthy" I feel like our morning breakfast can get a little boring, or I wonder how long the kids will last before they are hungry again. Any suggestions for a more protein, longer lasting, breakfast. I am also trying to avoid too many eggs. Cholesterol issues.

My first thoughts on a healthy, filling breakfast with some protein include one or more of these ingredients...cottage cheese, eggs, peanut butter, and oatmeal. Carbs are easy - they're in practically everything. But personally, I have to have a protein with my breakfast too or I'm starving approximately 30 seconds after I'm done eating. I eat cottage cheese almost every morning as an easy way to get that. So even if I have a bowl of cereal, I'll have a small serving of cottage cheese with it.

So, I'd serve some of these suggestions with a serving of cottage cheese, a piece of peanut butter toast, a yogurt, or even a piece of cheese. I realize many of these call for at least one egg, but hopefully it offers some variety so you're not eating too many eggs throughout the week.

Here are some suggestions...

Except for the baked oatmeal and a couple of the muffin recipes, I haven't tried any of these, so if anyone tries them, please let me know how you liked it! I try to get to any questions you have, so keep 'em coming! I like a challenge.

I'm sure the rest of you have some great ideas you could share with us - let's hear them!

2 comments:

cathy said...

Great ideas, Vivi! My kids are pancake freaks, and I make (yes, make) pancakes every two days. I whip up a huge batch, and refrigerate the leftover pancakes for the next morning. The trick is to use as many whole grains in the recipe as possible. I took a basic Betty Crocker recipe and over time, worked my way up to a very filling, healthy version. I didn't expect my kids to eat whole-wheat flax seed pancakes overnight, but by adding larger amounts of healthy ingredients over time, my kids didn't notice. So I use whole wheat flout, ground flax seed, wheat germ, and wheat bran. The kids still smother them in syrup, but who cares? I also "make" them eat a small serving of fruit and yogurt to balance out the meal. It seems to hold us till late morning or even lunch time. I can't wait to try some of Vivi's breakfast ideas, too!

Kari said...

Hi, a question for Cathy. How much of the flax seed, wheat germ and bran do you add to your pancakes? Do you add all of those or just some to different batches? I have heard flax seed is suppose to be really good for you, but I am just not sure what to do with it.
I have also started making whole wheat pancakes. They did take some adjusting to, but a little at a time.
I love the yogurt and cottage cheese idea. I always serve those for lunch or snacks, but never thought to have that for breakfast.

Great ideas, and I can't wait to try some of these ideas myself!