Monday, May 25, 2009

Fast to Fix


I've been doing a lot of dinners on the fly lately. Thankfully, allrecipes.com came to my rescue the other night. These quesadillas sounded easy and good...and they were! J and I both loved these - I forget how easy and versatile quesadillas are. I'll definitely make these again.

Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas
adapted from allrecipes.com


2 teaspoons olive oil
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons butter, divided
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle evenly with cheese, then top with some of the bean mixture. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

My notes: I picked up a rotisserie chicken and added this to the quesadilla for some extra protein. I used reduced fat Mexican cheese, fresh corn rather than canned, and added cilantro and avacado. I also cut the brown sugar in half and omitted the butter (I just warmed up the tortilla in a pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.). I think this would be great with a little squeeze of fresh lime.

3 comments:

Young Adventures... said...

Sounds so summery!

Sally said...

To paraphrase Banany, "This sounds so good. I can't even handle this."

Buckman Family said...

Yum!!!