Did you really think I'd post a picture of my muffin top?
Come on now.
I posted my daily morning muffin some time ago, but have failed to mention that, since then I found a new muff. I tweaked it a bit, by adding banana and flaxseed, subbing out the butter for applesauce, and decreasing the sugar. They're healthy and filling...and they do the trick for me, along with some cottage cheese, every single morning!
adapted from Cookie Madness
3/4 cups wheat bran
3 tablespoons hot coffee or water
4 tablespoons applesauce
2 tablespoons flaxseed
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 very ripe bananas
1 large egg
1 tablespoon mild molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons milk
6 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk** — sour by adding 1 tsp. vinegar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with 6-8 paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
Combine bran and coffee/water. Set aside.
Cream the applesauce, bananas, and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg, vanilla, flaxseed and molasses. Beat in the bran.
Mix together the flours, oats, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and powder.
Combine the milk and buttermilk (or soured milk).
Add the flour mixture, alternately with milk, to the bran mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Fill the muffin cups almost to the top, sprinkle with some oats to garnish (if desired), set pan on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Makes about 8 muffins
My notes: The original recipe called for butter, but I substitute it entirely for applesauce. You can omit the flaxseed if you want - use it sparingly if you're not used to it or it will go right through your system, if you know what I mean. When I double the recipe, I use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites (rather than 2 whole eggs).

No comments:
Post a Comment