I've eluded a few times to my "rules," which aren't hard core, but I do try to follow them most of the time. I'm not claiming this to be this great thing that you all should follow. It just works for me, that's all. So, if you're curious enough, read on. If not, see you next post!
It all started sometime last spring when J and I began to basically feel fat and lazy. Both of us had worked out, at least somewhat regularly, at different times in our lives, but had pretty much stopped once the kids came along. To add insult to injury, we didn't exactly eat well either.
We committed to doing our interpretation of the Body for Life diet (we didn't do the supplements, protein shakes etc.) together for 13 weeks to see if we could whip ourselves into shape. The gist of this diet is to eat better (watching the carb intake, cutting out a lot of sweets) and exercise six days a week. Day seven is a free day. You can eat whatever you want. We lived for day seven. We came close to licking the countertops in desperation for something sweet or another portion of dinner...but stopped short (most days anyways), knowing we just had to make it to day seven.
Well, something worked. We both managed to lose some weight, start eating better, and exercising regularly. It's been a tremendous help that we've done this together and it's actually been kind of fun competing with each other!
So, the routine has stuck, though some aspects have loosened up now that we're just in weight maintenance mode. I still work out six days a week - most mornings it's the elliptical (in the basement) at about 6:15 for 30 minutes. When the weather is bearable, I try to get a 3-4 mile run in outside about once a week. I actually hate missing my workout, which is hard for me to believe about myself considering I happily did not work out for years.
**Updated...barbell strength training twice a week, run 13-15 miles a week, swim once a week, spinning once a week if I can!***
We also try to eat relatively healthy about five days a week - moving to kind of a "free weekend" schedule. Which means we eat healthy dinners and not to do too many sweets during the week (J can't stay away from his ice cream, but he does do Edy's Slow Churned now).
All that baking I do? Well, most of that is done on the weekend. If I do it during the week, I typically pop it in the freezer to eat another time. I also try to give some of it away so that we don't have such a massive quantity here.
Once Friday night comes, we might have a dessert. Saturday and Sunday we often eat maybe one healthy meal, one sort of healthy meal (maybe adding chips to our sandwich or something), and one not healthy meal (take out or something ooey-gooey here).
So, that's it. Fascinating, huh?
Some of my favorite tunes? My eclectic list includes anything by Queen, "Since you Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, "So What" by Pink, "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, "Hey Ya" Outcast, "Verb: That's What's Happening" by Moby, "Hard Sun" by Eddie Vedder, "American Girl" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and "Little Red Corvette" by Prince .
Banany helping me make my standard breakfast
I eat this, or something very similar, almost every day.
2 muffins and some fat-free cottage cheese
1/8 cup wheat germ
2 muffins and some fat-free cottage cheese
Low Fat Apple Muffins
adapted from Allrecipes.com
Set your expectations...these are not very sweet muffins. There is only a little bit of sugar in them, so they don't taste like bakery muffins. I like them because they satisfy my need for bready carbs in a healthier way.
1/8 cup wheat germ
1 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups whole wheat flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup oats
2 cups whole wheat flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup oats
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites
1/2 apple, grated
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites
1/2 apple, grated
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease muffin pan, or use paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar and baking soda. Stir in wheat germ, buttermilk, and egg whites. Fold in grated apple. Divide batter into 12 muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease muffin pan, or use paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar and baking soda. Stir in wheat germ, buttermilk, and egg whites. Fold in grated apple. Divide batter into 12 muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.

11 comments:
Sounds like a good routine. I remember J starting the Body for life when you were pregs with Bananz.
My workout playlist is looooooooong. My favs right now:
Ride a Horse Not a Cowboy
When I grow up- Pussy Cat Dolls
I kissed a girl
anything Beastie Boys
and I like to start my run with Pink's So what - saw that on your list too!
I'm a believer! Vivi passed along these tips to me about 7 weeks ago when I started a Biggest Loser contest at school. I'm down almost 9 pounds! It's certainly not easy for me, yet, but it's getting better. And I cheat a lot more than J & V do!
....and then there is me. I just taste test V's goodies. By the way can you send over more of those banana orange zesty muffins and a song to eat them by?
Good for you! I need to get into a routine. I was good before I had Mira. Tyler and I use to do Tae Bo together. We just joined the Y and I need to start going there on a regular basis. You look great! I'm going to have to make those muffins, they look tasty.
Wow! That is great! I have been really bad the last couple of weeks! Bri loves working out to U2.
Good for you, girl!
Comment about the muffins...could you make them with apple sauce...not the grated apples? or would it be too mushy?
Just a question for the culinary genius...you.
Traci, this recipe is loosely based on some muffins I posted back in January http://avisitwithvivi.blogspot.com/2009/01/healthy-muffins.html
which have applesauce and blueberries in them.
Honestly, I don't know if more applesauce would make them mushy...like if you replaced the 1 1/4 cups of blueberries, called for in the recipe, with more applesauce (the recipe already calls for 1/2 cup). Boy, that makes me want to try that and see!
Yeah, see what a culinary genius I am? You ask me one question and I have no idea.
Ooooooh, so that's your secret! I have another friend who does this too--saves her treats for the weekends. It totally works for her, too. I might have to try that. Too bad they don't sell willpower at the grocery store.
Two things, friend: if you're going to watch P&P, I suggest the BBC version. The others are just so not up to par. Also, I couldn't run without Beyonce "Single Ladies" or "One" by Mary J Blige and Bono or "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire. I won't try to explain why I listen to Eminem*
Ok time for a guys comment here. HDS I recommend adding Where the Streets have No Name...it starts off kind of slow but has a nice build up factor that I think you'll enjoy and ends on a good smooth note. I know I'm a huge U2 Fan but even if I wasn't I'd still add this to my workout list. Also the whole Journey's greatest hits album is good for exercising..just "Don't Stop..Believin!"
Have you downloaded any PODCASTS to listen to while you work out? That's my saving grace (I HATE working out). I listen to the DIVA CAST (older ones are better) and Manic Mommies. Both are on itunes. Free, too. :) aleesha
Hi Aleesha! Thanks for the tip - I haven't heard of that, but will check into it. Great suggestion!
Post a Comment