Thursday, December 31, 2009

Coconut Macaroons

I was feeling bad about not blogging until I just checked several that I read regularly and they haven't been blogging either. But I'm back. The holidays were fun and crazy. We've enjoyed a totally different schedule than usual...that is no schedule at all. I've taken precisely zero pictures (the food pics were taken before Christmas), so I'll have to rely on the others in my family who did a much better job than I did!
Here is a macaroon recipe that I spotted just before the holidays and instantly knew I had to add it to the mix this year. They were a favorite. Yum. I think next time I do these, I might try a better chocolate than Hershey kisses...like maybe a Dove? These froze well too, so you can make them ahead of time which is always a bonus!

Macaroon Kisses
by Taste of Home

1/3 cup butter, softened
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 tsp orange juice?
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups flaked coconut, divided
48 milk chocolate kisses
Coarse sugar
Directions
In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, OJ if using, and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 3 cups coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
Roll into 1-in. balls and roll in the remaining coconut. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool on pan for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is softened. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen.

1 comment:

Sally said...

These were wonderful, chewy and almondy. I even took the kiss off just to enjoy the coconutty goodness.

Actually the last 3 posts were my favorite Vivi treats this Christmas