Save your old soup cans! I was reading a blog where this book was mentioned and I loved the idea of small batch baking. I've mentioned before that J and I try to eat as healthy as we can during the week...lean proteins, watching the carb intake, low fat, low sugar...pretty much no treats (at least for me - J would rather stick pins in his eyes). But the weekend...oh my beloved weekend...is for eating!
However, say for instance, that I make a dessert that makes a large quantity, we've got leftovers that either have to get eaten or spill over into the week. So, the idea of making just a small quantity - genius! And I just love that you bake it in cans.
So I checked out the book at the library and made the kids a chocolate cake tonight, just for fun. They each got their own individual little cake and they were so good. We're going to make them again on Friday when Banany is off from school. It's almost like easy bake for adults.

Chocolate Birthday Cake
from Small-Batch Baking
Makes 2 cakes; serves 2
Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for greasing the cans (I used butter Pam)1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring the cans (I floured the cans with cocoa powder)3 tablespoons buttermilk
Yolk of 1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
PANS REQUIRED:
Two 14- or 14.5-ounce cans
(mine were from diced tomatoes and chicken broth)1 baking sheet
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Grease the insides of the cans and lightly dust them with flour, tapping out the excess. Place the cans on a baking sheet for easier handling, and set aside.
3. Combine the buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla in a small bowl, and whisk to mix. Gradually pour the melted butter into the buttermilk mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-size mixing bowl, and then whisk to blend well. Add the sugar and whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk mixture and whisk just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cans, dividing it evenly between them. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the cans to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Then run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of each can and invert them to release the cakes. Turn the cakes upright and let them cool completely on the rack.
7. To frost the cakes, cut each cake in half horizontally. Spread a layer of frosting about 1/2 inch thick on the cut side of one cake half, then stack the other half on top of it. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Repeat with the remaining cake and frosting. (The cakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Let them stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.)
I frosted them with this frosting from allrecipes.com and just adjusted the serving amount to make less frosting.

4 comments:
So fun! I saw the blog too that mentioned the books - good idea to check the library. Or, I'll just keep checking back here for tips/treats. Love it!
How do you not binge on the weekends? I'm trying to restrict my calories, majorly restrict sugar, etc., but the weekend comes and once I start, it's hard to stop. Any tips?
Hey Cathy...yeah, I DO binge on the weekends. That is the method to my madness. It all started when J and I did the Body for Life diet, which suggests 6 days of dieting (and exercise) and 1 free day. Totally free. Eat whatever you want. This was very motivating for me and gave me a "release", rather than feeling like I had to go on a diet for the rest of my life. I needed to be able to eat with wild abandon and not feel guilty about it. The idea is that you've lost weight and changed your metabolism through diet and exercise and therefore cancels out all the eating you do on your free day...which, incidentally, has turned into free weekend at our house.
So...tips on not binging? Nope...don't really have any for you.
Love,
Ms. Binge
What a great idea - i love it! And the cake looks so yummy!
I was wondering how you stay so skinny with all these yummy treats that you make. I am going to have to get some more info from on the Body for Life diet when I see you!
Post a Comment