Monday, March 21, 2011

Cowboy Caviar

You may have had cowboy caviar before - at least some version of it. I've got some girlfriends who make a delicious version, but it does have a fair amount of oil in it, as well as some sugar. That, of course, boosts up the fat and sugar, so I was excited to see a diet friendly version in The Biggest Loser cookbook that I checked out from the library!

I will totally make this again -it was great and was very similar to the cowboy caviars I've had before. I tweaked it just a bit to suit our tastes, but we loved it. I also made a big ol' crockpot of homemade refried beans, but I think that recipe needs some tweaking so I'm not going to bother to post it just yet. 

I got it here if you gotta have it now.



Posted by Picasa
Texas Caviar
adapted from The Biggest Loser cookbook

1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz) can whole dernel corn, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh salsa (refrigerated, not the jarred stuff)
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
about 1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cumin
salt, to taste
ground pepper, to taste
hot sauce, to taste

Combine all the ingredients and cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.

2 comments:

Buckman Family said...

yum! the refried beans looked good too you will have to let me know what you had to tweak!

Young Adventures... said...

I think I have all of those ingredients on hand. Sounds great!