Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cinnamon Oat Scones

I saw these here, and happened to have some heavy cream that I needed to use up. Scones are a great way to use up cream since you can freeze them before or after baking. Anna, the writer of the blog, claimed back in 2007 that these were "it" as far as oatmeal scones go, so, as a lover of all things oats, I had to give them a try.  I thought they were quite good (for the record, J did not think they were sweet enough), but I did forget the toast-the-oats-first step...so I'm wondering if that toasted flavor would make these even better. I have nothing to compare these to, since I've never done this flavor of scone before, but I liked them enough to use this one again!
Posted by Picasa

Cinnamon Oat Scones
adapted slightly from Cookie Madness
    1 1/2 cups oats, old fashioned oats
     1 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
     1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
     1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 10 chunks
    1/4 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup cinnamon chips (or more, if you'd like!)
    cinnamon sugar for sprinkling  
    Instructions
Toast the Oats:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.Toast the oats. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until they are fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of oats to use as scone topping.

Scone Recipe:  Raise oven heat to 450 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pulse 4 times to mix. Add butter chunks to flour mixture and pulse until mixture is the size of small peas.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, milk, and vanilla. Spoon out 1 tablespoon and set aside. You will use this for brushing tops.
Add the flour mixture and the oats to cream mixture and stir until almost mixed. Add the cinnamon chips and continue mixing just until mixture comes together in a ball.
On a lightly floured surface, shape the ball into a 7 inch circle (about 1 inch thick). With a floured knife, cut into 6 or8 wedges, and place wedges 2 inches apart on a non-stick or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with reserved cream mixture and sprinkle with reserved oats and cinnamon sugar. Bake 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.

No comments: