Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Key Lime....Bread!

I was so intrigued with the idea of Key Lime Bread that I had to try it! I had the perfect opportunity when my neighbor, who loves Key Lime Pie, dropped off a big bag of books for the kids. Key Lime Bread seemed like a great way to say thanks!

The first batch I made was a flop. Literally. I pulled both loaves out of the oven and they were completely sunken in the middle. Turns out I forgot the eggs. All four of them. Brilliant, I know.

The second batch, eggs and all, turned out much better. This is definitely a sweet bread...a dessert bread...more than a breakfast bread. But it was delicious and I'm glad the recipe made enough for two loaves so I could share one and keep one!

To me, these really to kind of scream "gift" bread. Wouldn't they be cute wrapped in cellophane and tied with a lime green ribbon? Darn, should have done that for my neighbor.

Give it a try...and don't forget the eggs.

Key Lime Bread
Simple & Delicious magazine

2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tbl grated lime peel
2 tbl key lime juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Glaze:
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1-2 tbl key lime juice (I used 2 tbl)
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add lime peel, juice and vanilla; mix until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in the walnuts, if using.
Transfer to two 9-in x 5-in x 3 in loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
My notes: I used a regular lime for the 2 tbl of zest and bought a bag of about 10 key limes (for $1.99) and squeezed them to get the 2 tbl of key lime juice in the bread and 2 tbl of key lime juice for the glaze. I also found that I needed to cool these longer than 10 minutes before removing them from the pans, otherwise they tended to stick to the bottom of the pan.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Well I was going to comment on your roast beef sandwiches and lo and behold Lime Bread pops up, sounds yummo. I've done the Barefoot C's Lemon Cake and it seems kind of similar with the glaze.

I hope your neighbor enjoyed it.

lil' mama said...

This sounds good. I think that is my usually comment on all your posts. Sorry for being unoriginal. How's the pumpkin fudge?