Before we get to the scones, one of my readers needs some help and I'm at a bit of a loss. She has this dilemma:
My kids are taking their lunch a few days a week. One doesn't eat sandwiches, so I have to make a wrap. That isn't a problem, it is coming up with new ideas for lunch. We have also done meat, cheese and crackers, and I did get each of them a thermos bowl for soups etc.
Any other fun ideas???
Do any of you guys out there, with or without small kids who bring lunch, have any ideas for her? Frankly, I think I'd be in the same pickle as she would be....trying to think of creative lunch ideas for kids. I'm going to keep looking into it, but thought you all might have some great ideas you could share with us!
**********************Now, onto the pumpkin scones**********************
I love most pumpkin flavored things, especially this time of year. I was excited to try this pumpkin scone recipe from Annie's Eats, one of my favorite go-to cooking blogs.
I adapted the recipe, based on her suggestions and really liked these. Whenever I've picked up a scone at a bakery or coffee shop, it seems like they're really dry, but making them at home seems to make them very.....un-dry (you may remember, I have issues with a certain word that would make sense here.)
These are very easy to make and don't require you to be a good baker - right up my alley. Add one more recipe to my "keep" file!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light or dark brown sugar (I used dark)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
1/3 cup buttermilk
½ cup pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the egg wash:
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk or cream
Preheat the oven to 400° and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Stir in the chopped white chocolate. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round. Cut the circle into eight equal triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with white sugar.
Place the baking sheet inside another baking sheet to prevent the bottoms of the scones from over browning. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 8 scones.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Stir in the chopped white chocolate. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round. Cut the circle into eight equal triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with white sugar.
Place the baking sheet inside another baking sheet to prevent the bottoms of the scones from over browning. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 8 scones.

4 comments:
I am a friend of your sister, Hil. I LOVE your blog. So funny...and educational! I am totally going to try these scones...I have a kid with egg allergies but I could just eliminate the egg wash! Thanks for a great and adaptable recipe. I love to cook and bake as well and it is always fun to see what others are up to in the kitchen!!!
blessedby6 - I know who you are! I enjoy your blog too! Glad to hear you enjoy the blog and the recipes. I'm not sure the egg wash is necessary at all. The only other scones I've made, you just put a very light brush of water on each pre-cooked scone and top with a little dusting of white sugar. Yum!
I'm here to tell ya these scones are fantasic!!! Vivi dropped some off for Lil Mama and her family and we loved them!!
Couldn't get enough of the pumpkin scones!!! Seriously - Delish!
Post a Comment