My dad loves the flavor of molasses, especially in the form of cookies. He and I made these a while back and he enjoyed them so I made them again for him for a little Father's Day treat. However, once Jason and I resampled them, we decided I should make a batch for us sometime.
They taste similar to a gingerbread cookie, but they're soft...and the glaze adds a little something special too. Which makes me think...adding a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice and/or a little lemon zest to the glaze might not be too bad...hmmm....
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup butter (unsalted)
1/4 cup light or dark molasses
1 large egg
Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside. Cream the sugar with the butter and shortening. Beat in the molasses, then add egg and beat well until thoroughly mixed. Gradually add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and stir to make a dough.
Chill dough for 1 ½ hours or until ready to bake.
Shape dough into about 50 little balls. Arrange 2 ½ inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets, press tops down slightly.
Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 10-14 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
2 ½ tablespoons light cream or milk plus more as needed
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the sugar and butter together the best you can. Slowly stir in the milk and beat until smooth. Add vanilla, then add more milk little by little until you get a nice drizzling consistency.


1 comment:
My name is Papa, and I approve this right-tasty iced molasses cookie every time I eat one!
Post a Comment