1 (18 oz size) jar of peanut butter
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
about 2 cups chocolate chips
1-2 tbl shortening
In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and shortening. Blend well until the mixture forms a dough. If you refrigerate this for an hour or so at this point, it will be much easier to work with. Roll into 1-inch balls, place on a parchment covered cookie sheet or pan, and pop back into the refrigerator.
Just before you're ready to begin dipping, melt the chocolate in the microwave (at 30 second intervals) or over a double boiler. Stir in the shortening, which will thin the sauce. Using a toothpick, fork, spoon...whatever your "dipping mechanism" is...dip the balls into the chocolate and place back on the parchment paper. Refrigerate until hardened.
My notes: This "dough" is very sticky, so it is MUCH easier to work with when it's cold. It's worth the extra time to refrigerate it at each stage. The original recipe did not call for the shortening, so you could skip that ingredient if you want. However, I found the melted chocolate alone was quite thick and tricky to dunk the balls in...the shortening thinned it and made that process much easier.

6 comments:
yummmmmm! Have you made these before? I think I've had them just can't remember where.
Please try Red Velvet Cake Balls. OH MY GOODNESS! Google it and it will bring up some recipes. My friend gave some to me as a little Christmas present and holy cow! They were dipped in white choc (I think?) Or a hard white candy coating with red sprinkles. Seriously. Too die for!
Oh lil' mama...have you no faith in me?!?!? :)
The Red Velvet Cake Balls are already made and in my freezer. They're my next post! For the record, they rank #2 for J.
Were they from the Pioneer Woman?
Mom, they're from Christmascookies.com, but I think there are a lot of versions out there.
Dude. You're good! Now, you know my address. Please ship a large box of RVCB to my house. And #2 for Jas? Really? Is he crazy???? :) Please send me his share. :)
Vivi, can I hire you to make my 7 dozen for the cookie exchange? I'll watch your kids while you bake!
Post a Comment