12 tbl butter
2 tbl minced onion
1 cup flour*
6 cups of chicken broth
about 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 cup finely grated carrots (I buy the prepacked shredded carrots)
6 tbl chopped slivered almonds, optional
1 tsp salt
2 cups half & half
4 tbl dry sherry (I use the cheap cooking sherry, white wine would also work)
4 cups cooked wild rice
Cook wild rice according to package directions (I use Gibbs farm rice, which has to be cooked about an hour and a half, but you could use any kind of wild rice) and set aside. Dry roast almonds in a saute pan to lightly toast them, set aside. Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion until tender. Blend in flour and cook for a minute or two. Gradually add broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute.
Stir in rice, meat, carrots, almonds and salt. Simmer 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry. Heat to serving temperature. Makes about 12 cups.
My notes: I often make the rice ahead of time and throw the cooked rice in the freezer. This soup also freezes well, so I often make a big batch and freeze half for another day. The original recipe had ham in it, but we found that we preferred chicken. I bake the chicken and season it with olive oil, a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.
*Can use 1/2 the amount called for for flour and substitute with potato starch (for teh recipe above, use 1/2 cup potato starch instead of 1 cup flour). I just made it this way for someone with a gluten allergy and it turned out exactly the same!

7 comments:
when i was at Dayton i would love wild rice soup day.
i am very excited to try this..........
thanks h
I wish I was going home to some :(
I have this same recipe and I was always wracked with guilt about the butter. I was able to whittle it down to 5 or 6 Tbls. of butter and 4 to 5 Tbls. of olive oil. Melt and mix together, then add the flour.
Still, this is the best soup in the universe!
mom, if it makes you feel any better, this is a picture from the soup I made for the family at Thanksgiving...so we're not eating it either.
cathy, thanks for that tip! All that butter (and half and half for that matter) is exactly the reason why I make this about twice a year. But I'm very excited about your healthier version and will try it the next time I make this...which might be sooner, rather than later!
I thought maybe this was for Christmas Eve dinner
Vivs, since it will be so cold this weekend and L is home I MIGHT attempt to make the best soup ever.
I am still unpatiently waiting for my RVCB to arrive in the mail. ;)
THAT LOOKS SO GOOD. Is it better than Eddington's? REmember going there for lunch sometimes when we worked at LB...ah the good ol days :)
Post a Comment