Monday, November 16, 2009

Operation Christmas Child

A few weeks ago, we picked up some Operation Christmas Child boxes at church to fill for a needy child. We did it last year too, but I was hopeful that this year the kids would "get it" a little bit more. I really wanted them to be active in filling the boxes...so I held my breath and got ready to shop. For toys. For someone else. With my kids.

We indicated on each box that the gifts inside were for a child who was the same gender and age range as each of our kids. Then, we got to the business of filling the boxes.

Samaritan's Purse has some rules on what you cannot include in the boxes, so we did have to keep that in mind, but other than that, we could do whatever we wanted. Before we set off for Target to buy things for each box, I talked to the kids about the fact that we were not buying things for them, but for the little boy and girl who would get these boxes. Banany seemed particularly struck by the notion that this box of things would likely be the only present this little girl would get. We talked about what kind of conditions many of these kids live in and how little they have. I know my kids cannot even imagine it.

At Target, I steered the kids in some general directions but really tried to let them pick out some of the toys that could go in their boxes. Meaty picked out his favorite...cars. Banany picked out some fun jewelry and hair things. We got slinkys, new crayons and notepads, an etch-a-sketch, a fancy purse, socks, soap. Each kid picked out a new toothbrush for their box and finally, some candy.

The organization has a cool tracking system now. You can print a label off for your box and you'll get an email later that tells you what country your gift went to. We also filled out a sheet included with the boxes that allowed the kids to draw pictures and tell the child a little bit about themselves. We opted to include our address in case the receiving child wants to write back. The kids both carefully helped to pack their boxes, included a photo of themselves, and their colored info sheet.

Not once did either of them complain or whine about a toy.

They got it. I'm proud.







6 comments:

cathy said...

Good for them!!!!

lil' mama said...

Way to go Vivs! I can't wait to do it with C and when he "gets it".

Buckman Family said...

It is so good that you did that with the kids! What a nice thing for your family to do together and also for another family to receive!

Heather said...

We did it too-the kids loved it so much that I'm tempted to put a boxful of stuff for each of them under the tree as their main gift. Maybe it would sink in even more if that was their main present this year too.

C Love said...

Love it! Good for you and the kids. They look adorable with their boxes.

Hilary said...

The boys had fun with theirs, too. Kind of funny some of the things they wanted to pick out, but they seemed to very much "get it".