But I'm ashamed to say, I take it for granted. I don't often think about living in a free country. I get little reminders when I see something on tv or in the paper, but I'm sure I don't truly appreciate how priviliged I am. Perhaps it's because my dad was not in the military, my brother is not, uncles, cousins, friends...no one. Only my grandpa who very rarely spoke about it, and certainly not to young grandchildren, was in the military.
We never experienced the painful goodbyes at the airport, the unbearably long separations, the missed special events, or the heartbreaking news of the loss of a loved one in action. To us, the Fourth of July meant grilling out, swimming, parades and of course, fireworks. But to those serving in the military and to their families and friends, I imagine the Fourth means represents much more.
We'll still grill, swim and have fireworks this year, but I'm making a conscious effort to be thankful to the people who did, and do, make it possible to live the way we do.

1 comment:
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Post a Comment