J brings home the "Taste" section of the newspaper for me on Thursdays. They always have at least one recipe I want to try...sure enough, there was another one yesterday. A woman discovered this at an old farmhouse restaurant at the Holland-Belgium border over twenty years ago and has been making it ever since.
I made it this morning and it is really, really good. Mom, you HAVE to make this.
Low Sugar Mint Citrus Summer Fizz
Ice
2 Medium Lemons, thinly sliced
2 Medium Limes, thinly sliced
18 Fresh Spearmint Sprigs
1 Medium Orange, thinly sliced
1 (23 oz) bottle sparkling mineral water (unflavored)
1 (33 oz) bottle tonic water (sugar free)
Place the citrus slices and mint in a large pitcher. Bruise them with a wooden spoon - don't beat them to a pulp, just crush them until fragrant. Pur in the mineral water and tonic water and stir.
As I typed the recipe, I just realized, I didn't even put the orange in yet and it's really good. I'm going to go add some orange! I also only had 1 lemon...so, you don't have to have this perfect for it to taste great. **UPDATE** I added orange, but I actually think I like it better with lemon, lime and mint - no orange. Or, I bet it would be good with orange and maybe mint - no lemon/lime. I think I don't care for the orange and lime flavors together as much.
I just made the pitcher for me to drink today - it's a nice change from plain water. But this would be a great entertaining (shower or whatever) drink. The woman who wrote it said you could also add rum, gin or vodka to it if you wanted a citrus-y alcoholic drink.
Yum.

5 comments:
Now does it have to be exactly 18 spearmint sprigs? :) J/K. This sounds yummy!
Again, me being the non-chef that I am...where do you even BUY spearamint springs? What the heck is "brusing" the lemons and limes?
I am so hopeless!
If you add rum, you've got a mojito! I'm off to the store...
I am also curious about the spearamint sprigs. Any grocery store??
I am trying that drink as well. Give that plain water some kick!
Here is the recipe for the energy boost bars.
1(8oz) bag almonds (I found sliver to be easier to use if you don't have a food processor)I used a chopper
1/4C sesame seeds
11/2C quick cooking oats
1/2C dried cranberries
1C dried blueberries
2/3C maple Syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
Heat oven to 275. Lightly grease 9 in baking pan with canola oil (very important! I forgot that and they DON'T come out! : ) )
Grind the almonds in a food processor until they resemble a coarse meal. Combine the ground almonds with the remaining ingred. in a large bowl and stir well. Using wet fingers, press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake it for 1 hour. Allow bars to cool completely in the pan, then slice. Makes 20.
looking forward to the next recipe. Any good main meals?? : )
Yep, you can get spearmint sprigs in the produce section at any decent sized grocery store. They are packaged with the other packaged herbs and will be near the lettuce, green onions, ginger, green peppers...
kari - thanks for the recipe! and yes, I'll post some main dishes soon too!
Post a Comment