So, since Seinfield was such a phenomenal hit, wouldn't it make sense that when Jerry Seinfield's wife, Jessica, wrote a cookbook about sneaking veggies into her kids' food, that it would be a hit too? Ok, maybe not necessarily. But I've become quite intrigued with the book,
Deceptively Delicious...afterall, it is a cookbook, and have tried a few of her recipes. Funny, I imagine Jerry sitting at home eating some of these foods. And, of course, they invite Kramer over to eat too. Riiiiight.
In fact, I spent the morning pureeing veggies.
So after trying a couple of recipes, I really like them. The Graham Cracker Sandwiches trump the
Pumpkin Crunchers, big time...although they're probably not as healthy. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip was super yummy too. I'm slightly conflicted because my kids actually do eat veggies and fruit. So, I'm not sure how much I really need these recipes, but I am interested in ways I could add some additional veggies into their food, and, at the same time, get them to eat new foods. I'm disappointed that her book doesn't include nutritional info - that could make or break some of these for me. But, read on and see for yourself.
Notice the flowers I got from J for our anniversary!
Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwiches
2 cups lowfat plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 tbl lemon juice
grated zest of one lemon (I skipped this)
16 lowfat graham crackers, broken in half to make 32 squares
Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. In as small of a bowl as practical, cover the mixture and freeze for 1 to 1.5 hours until the mixture starts to thicken. Once the mixture has thickened, scoop out and press about 1/4 cup of the mixture between two crackers to make sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich in waxed paper and freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
My notes: Like I mentioned above, I skipped the lemon zest. If you don't like/want to use lowfat grahams, regular would obviously work just fine. I started out making a 1/2 batch of these, but after tasting them, made a second batch. I made the second batch with orange juice instead of lemon and it was just as tasty! Jessica (she's totally my BFF now) also suggests you could roll the sides of the "sandwiches" in coconut. I skipped the coconut and gave the kids chocolate sprinkles to roll them in instead. You could really get creative on these...you could flavor the yogurt with almond extract and roll them in chopped nuts, or roll them in just about anything...crushed candy bars, mini chocolate chips...you get the idea.
My dilemma: This book doesn't provide nutritional information, so I'm curious how these compare to other treats my kids might have. Plain yogurt is great, buttermilk is fine, but there is sugar in here. Is it better or worse than a bowl of ice cream, flavored yogurt, cookies...wish I knew!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup (4 oz) fat-free cream cheese
6 tbl chocolate syrup
1/4 cup carrot puree
1/2 tsp salt
Stir the peanut butter, cream cheese, chocolate syrup, carrot puree, and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Use as a dip for fruit.
My notes: I actually used a hand mixer to mix this up and it worked very well. This took about 1 minute to make (I'd already pureed the carrots). Believe me, you CANNOT taste any carrot. My kids gobbled this up with slices of apple. It was delicious. It's a really yummy dip for pretzels too!
My dilemma: My kids eat plain fruit just fine. So, we don't really need to be dipping our fruit in chocolate, but I guess this can just be a once-in-a-while treat!

Here's a pretty line of the purees. I pureed carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash and yellow squash. They really are quite lovely...they also remind me a lot of baby food. I never even considered making my own baby food. If I had another baby, which I won't, I'd consider this. In the meantime, I'll sneak it into my family's food.
I'm curious, has anyone else tried this concept before or used her recipes? Side note, sorry if the spacing is dumb on some of my blog posts...I am not a big fan of the ultra-long paragraph, especially in recipes, but it formats itself sometimes and I can't fix it. Grrrr...
10 comments:
I'm dying to know how the brownies with spinach taste. I'll let you try it out and tell us:) What equipment did you use for pureeing veggies? Will you freeze the packets or keep on hand in fridge? C will start real food soon so this could be an option....
I used to make the baby food that my kids ate the most-squash, peas, carrots. i haven't tried Jessica's actual recipes but I always have baby food carrots on hand (I just buy them to save time)
I slide pureed carrots into lots of things-any red sauce (spag, tacos, sloppys, etc.) then in my smoothies too. no one can taste them.
Lately I've been hiding protein powder in stuff so my kids don't melt at school before they can eat. Smoothies, muffins, pancakes so far...
Lil' Mama, the brownies are on my "to-do" list. I'm very curious about those also. I just used my blender to puree these and it was really easy. I had to add some water to most of the veggies to make it runny enough to puree. It was actually very easy and made a lot. I put them in 1/2 cup portions in snack sized Ziplocks. For now, they're in the fridge while I figure out what I'll make in the next day or two. Then, I'll move the rest to the freezer.
Chaos Mom, carrots into red things...good idea.
Dear Vivi,
Our family had the enchiladas tonight and we give you 5 thumbs up! We are also making the cinn. muffins for breakfast. Alexandra and I sampled...AWESOME! (of course I need to be better at reading directions...topping 1st try...6TBS cinn.....oops....2nd try...combined butter with dry..oops again....we used it as frosting since I ran out of cinn. : )
Looking forward to some more!
Love the veggie idea. I will definitely be trying that!
I have the Jessica S. book and have made several of her recipes. My opinion, too, is that some of them seem to have too much sugar for my taste. I'd rather have the little extra fat(meaning a whole egg vs. just egg whites or something) and decrease the refined sugar content. For freezing pureed veggies I use ice cube trays, she may have mentioned that as well, I can't remember. Oh yeah, one little tip I use all the time is that you can decrease the sugar in a printed recipe by 1/3 without a noticeable difference in texture and taste. And it seems to hold true in my own experience.
PS---
spinach brownies/chocolate cake rocks. (Favorite chocolate cake recipe is the one back of the hershey's powder container..and to sneak in pureed broccoli or spinach.)
Kari - so glad you liked the enchiladas! And I'm impressed that you're trying things from the blog. Seriously, this makes me very happy. And no biggie on the muffin topping...you can't really go wrong with butter, cinnamon and sugar, can you?
lm - I'm very happy to have your feedback on an actual "book owner" and experienced recipe tryer! :) I have heard that about the sugar and the graham cracker sandwiches would have been a perfect place to try it...I'll do that next time. Thanks for the reminder and the brownie tip. I was a little leary of making these after reading some of the reviews, but after hearing your comments, I'm so making them!
One last post....I just pulled out the book with my notes....in every recipe I tried I did the whole egg thing and added a bit of oil/butter. Thumbs up J.S. recipes: Doughnuts and Blueberry oatmeal bars. Thumbs down: chocolate cake..way too dry.
Not-bad-recipe: chick pea chocolate chip cookies.
For my spinach brownies I used a regular recipe and added same J.S. ratio of carrot/spinach.
AND our family LOVED the buttermilk cinnamon muffins. Delish. Thanks!
..too long/too many posts...apologies...fellow foodie, couldn't hold back.
lm - no holding back, no apologies! I totally appreciate your input and love hearing from you...thrilled you liked the muffins!
Vivi...forget the sneaky sneaky stuff. Just have them live off carne asada burritos and ding dongs until college...then they'll move on to better things like Lucky Charms and Lutefisk...that is what I did and I turned out fine haha. We try to sneak stuff in JD's food all the time...but man he's smart...every spoonful he investigates like he's Sherlock Holmes :) I can't wait to see you and all the Sperati soon. I have never seen the Banana or mighty M face to face...should be good times.
Post a Comment