Saturday, June 13, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake

I made strawberry shortcake a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't made shortcake before, but this recipe was nearly identical to scone recipes that I've tried before. I'd describe it as biscuit-like. And, while I do like angel food cake as the "cake" part of strawberry shortcake, this was really tasty too.

Strawberry Shortcake...it's just one of those desserts that screams summer.


The naked shortcake.


All gussied up.

Strawberry Shortcake

adapted just slightly by Vivi

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 tsp nutmeg, optional
1 cup butter
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and cream of tartar. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Stir in cream and egg. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 minutes. Press into a half-inch thick sheet. Cut into squares. Place on baking sheets.
Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons sugar over sliced berries.
Let shortcakes cool before splitting and filling with sugared berries.
My notes: My mom and I collaborated on this one. She had all the fresh berries, and we gave them a good mash before topping the shortcake. I also made homemade whipped cream and flavored it with a little bit of nutmeg since I'd added that to the shortcake recipe. Honestly, I think I like my whipped cream with just a touch of vanilla better, but the nutmeg version was a nice variation.

1 comment:

cathy said...

yuuuuuuummmmmm!!!!!!!!!