Monday, June 1, 2009

Pancake Recipes

One of my favorite things about blogging is the sharing of ideas that goes on here. While my readership isn't huge by any standards, I've got quality readers with great ideas. Recently, one of you asked for some healthy breakfast ideas, which prompted another one of you to pipe in with some awesome ideas...

From my friend, Cathy, who so was nice enough to share her healthy recipe with us...Thanks Cathy!

****************************************************


Here's the original Betty Crocker recipe, which I've doubled.

Makes about 15 pancakes (depending upon size)

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups milk

2 Tbl. sugar

4 Tbl. veg. oil

4 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt (or more to taste)

*Beat eggs until fluffy--mix in remaining ingredients.


Here is what I do with the recipe, and you're going to hate me because I don't usually measure but this is pretty close

1 egg (I hate the taste of eggs and I find one will suffice)

3/4 cup unbleached white flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup ground flax seed

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/8 cup wheat bran

2 cups milk

2 Tbl. sugar

5 or 6 Tbl. vegetable oil

4 tsp. baking soda (if you add more they get too puffy)

1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together and allow to sit for a minute. If batter thickens too much add milk 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency. If your baking powder is brand new, it can work almost too well and I sometimes add only 2 or 3 tsps. Since I've been doing this for a couple years and I can do this in my sleep. It took me a few weeks to work up to the new recipe without my kids noticing. The best part is that the pancakes look the same as regular pancakes so your kids won't look at them and yell 'Gross!' I buy Bob's Red Mill (I think that's the brand???) flax seed, wheat germ, and wheat bran. They keep in your fridge forever. You can add ground flax seed to chili, muffins, brownie mix!!!! It's flavorless and blends in well.** MY most important advice is to make the pancakes BEFORE you take your morning shower, otherwise you smell like a griddle all day. :)Hope this helps, Cathy

*****************************************


Cathy's pancake idea reminded me that I hadn't ever posted the one that I do. So here goes...



Buckwheat Pancakes

Makes 12-14 pancakes


1 1/2 cups buckwheat pancake mix (I used Hodgson Mill, found in the organic section at most groceries)

3/4 to 1 cup of skim milk (depending on how thin you like them)

1 egg

approx 1 1/4 cup of yogurt - any flavor that you like (my faves are vanilla or blueberry)


Variations: Fold in 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries; or 1/2 cup chopped nuts; or decrease milk to 1/3 cup and stir int 1 cup of applesauce instead. Or, you can follow the original instructions on the box which call for milk, egg and oil.

2 comments:

Kari said...

thanks for the breakfast recipies. I am going to try both and see how they go over.
I have heard about the flax seed etc, but never how to use it.

I am due to whip up another batch to freeze, so I will give these a try.
Great suggestions!

Mrs. Cox said...

Viv,
I just made my rendition of flax seed and flax oil pancakes tonight! Yum-o. We love 'em. Thanks for your rendition. I may have to gimve them a try too!